Check out More Shasta Stuff

Monday, April 25, 2016

What do I need to climb a mountain?

While my climb of Mt. Shasta in June isn’t the hardest climb out there, it will require some extra gear besides what you would take on a regular hike through the woods. Some of you reading this probably already know a bit about these main pieces of gear, but for those of you who don’t here’s the basics.

Ice axe: This is probably one of the most recognizable pieces of equipment used by mountaineers. Depending on what type of climbing you are doing the ice axe can take on many different shapes. For my Mt. Shasta climb I will be using an ice axe with a long handle that has a long pointed pick on one end and a flat adze on the other. It will also have a leash attached to it that will go around my wrist in case I was to drop it. I will use the axe mostly to stabilize myself like a sort of cane as a climb up and down the mountain. The ice axe is also used to perform a technique called a self-arrest, where if I was to fall I would be able to stop myself from sliding down the mountain. These are just a few of the many uses of an ice axe.

Boots: Mountaineering boots are designed differently than a hiking boot. They are made of leather or plastic and are much stiffer than a regular boot. This stiffness allows a climber to kick into the snow slope so you can get a solid step in as you climb up and down. The sole of the boot is also compatible with a crampon which I will describe below.

Crampons: These come in a pair, one for each boot. They attach to the bottom and have either 10 or 12 sharp points that grip the snow and ice as you climb. Again depending on what type of climbing you are doing crampons come in many different forms.

Helmet: This piece of equipment is one that you might not think of until you get out onto the mountain and look up, but it is one thing that you don’t want to forget. The helmet is designed to protect you from falling ice and rock that may be knocked down from climbers above you or just from the natural freezing and thawing that is occurring on the mountain. They are different from a bike or ski helmet in that they are designed to take impact from above.

These are just a few of the pieces of equipment required on a climb up a mountain. Depending on where you are climbing and what the conditions are there are countless other pieces of gear that you may need. Stay tuned for more info on my upcoming climb. Two months to the summit!

Jake

“Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory.”
-Ed Viesturs





No comments:

Post a Comment